Saturday, March 26, 2011

it's PTO auction time again!

So I dropped off the face of the earth for a little over 2 months.  I am sorry for that.  I have just found that blogging while in the throws of morning sickness, sick kids and room parenting was just too much for me. That and the sad truth that not much has gotten done around here in the creative realm since Christmas.  

I did have the honor of putting together two auction baskets for my daughter Yasmeen's fifth grade class to donate to this years PTO auction.  I didn't get pics of the baskets complete but I did photograph the inspiration for the theme. 

Every time I have been in charge of an auction basket I try to come up with a theme that will be cost effective.  This means a theme that would involve making a product that would retail for a good bit lol.  This year I decided to make 2 sets of aprons with chef's hats.  One with a girlish theme and the other with a boyish theme.  I purchased two over sized mixing bowls and filled them with cooking utensils, cook books, baking supplies and mixes.  Then added the aprons with chef's hats and a cooking lesson gift certificate from a local cooking studio (Thank you Young Chefs Academy for the generous donation; ).  The auction is tonight and I'm giddy with anticipation to see what we end up bringing in with these.

I got the apron tutorial here and the chef's hat tutorial here.  I have used this tutorial loosely in the past to get an idea of measurements but this was the first time I actually followed the directions exactly.  I was rather pleased to find that adding D-rings for the shoulder strap was actually easier than making 2 straps for a tie back.  I can't believe that I opted for the tie backs for so long!  I don't know if I will ever make a tie back again lol.  If you are into sewing aprons and have yet to use D-rings, I highly recommend them!  I went back to the store and purchased several more packages so that I will have them on hand for other projects now.  Funny how you can spend so much time avoiding such an easy process all because of unfounded fears.  Oh, and I almost forgot to mention, the fabric from the floral print has been on hand long before the Rumpelstiltskin Challenge so the floral apron counts as a project complete for project #2 complete!  Only 2 months later and with no pics of project #1...oh well.

Here are some pics of my daughter Yasmeen modeling the aprons:

robots and stripes chef's hat

robots side of reversible apron

striped side of apron

adjustable shoulder strap with d-hooks

floral and polka-dot chef's hat

polka-dot side of reversible apron

floral side of apron